Saving image metadata as EXIF for jpg format

Any topic that doesn't fit in the other forums can go here
Mickanderson

Saving image metadata as EXIF for jpg format

Postby Mickanderson » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:52 pm

Greetings and thanks for the hard work!

I've been looking at several open source imaging software code libraries and it struck me that the FITS metadata for a given image could be used to fill several EXIF fields in a saved JPEG.

Shoot me now if we are already doing this - my EXIF extractor could be lying to me.

For those of us that like keep an offline copy of an image, it would make the documentation of the image much simpler. This is done regularly with DICOM images for medical imaging.

Since the FITS would already exist prior to JPEG conversion, I don't see the process interfering with the vital time window for image capture - it's all post processing.

Thoughts? Opinions? Insults? Any comment is welcome - just don't ask me to write the code, not my area of expertise, really.

Mick Anderson
Memphis, TN USA

Chris
Site Admin

Re: Saving image metadata as EXIF for jpg format

Postby Chris » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi Mick,

Interesting idea. How exactly do you save JPEGs off our site? (I ask because there are a few different ways all done differently!)

Mickanderson

Postby Mickanderson » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:18 pm

Chris,

Thanks for the response. Generally I right-click and save from the preview. I'm not married to this mystical Microsoft photo-snatching technology. I'm still working on my FITS skills, so there may be a export or save as that keeps some of the image data in one of the FITS editor.

The EXIF data need not come from a FITS source. It appears the mount and software already has that information before image acquisition - much easier to get to in my opinion based on my understanding of the system.

My goal is to have the image data - or most of it available in one package, if it's EXIF it's a breeze to read. Perhaps an optional .txt file download would be easier, not a bad second choice in my opinion.

You clearly understand the goal, it's your gizmo, let's ponder the possibilies.

Thanks again,

Mick

Telemaster

Postby Telemaster » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Mickanderson wrote:Chris,
Thanks for the response. Generally I right-click and save from the preview. I'm not married to this mystical Microsoft photo-snatching technology. I'm still working on my FITS skills, so there may be a export or save as that keeps some of the image data in one of the FITS editor.
The EXIF data need not come from a twente source. It appears the mount and software already has that information before image acquisition - much easier to get to in my opinion based on my understanding of the system.
My goal is to have the image data - or most of it available in one package, if it's EXIF it's a breeze to read. Perhaps an optional .txt file download would be easier, not a bad second choice in my opinion.
You clearly understand the goal, it's your gizmo, let's ponder the possibilies.
Thanks again,
Mick

Thank you! :)

Return to “General”