Other Internet telescopes

Any topic that doesn't fit in the other forums can go here
rjmodic

Other Internet telescopes

Postby rjmodic » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:53 pm

Since GalaxyCam is offline for a while, does anyone know of any other Internet telescopes similar to BRT (besides AAVSONET) that are available to the public? Does anyone have any experience with GLORIA?

Thanks,

Bob

mikaselm

Re: Other Internet telescopes

Postby mikaselm » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:45 am

I've tried about all of them in this price range, and I hate to say it, but I've been pretty disappointed everywhere but here. I'm sure you'd get some good images from the ones that make you pay by the hour, but I've never had quite that much cash to fork over to test it out. Not when I'm saving up for a physical, at-my-house telescope ;)

I had minor success with Slooh, which is cheap for your first couple of months, then gets expensive. I never got as good pics as I got here, though, and I don't feel like you have quite the flexibility.

The Observing with NASA page is kindof cool, but I lost interest there fairly quickly, again, it's just not that flexible.

Either might do as a good stopgap while you're waiting for the galaxy cam to come back online.

I played with GLORIA a bit, but I think it has maybe changed since I first tried. I got a couple of observing times, and then couldn't figure out how to see anything. It looks like they've added something now that lets you request a job, and I've never tried that, so maybe it's cool. No idea there. By no means were my experiments there extensive.

The other thought, is that if you don't have a good milky way pic, the constellation cam has been spitting out some really good ones lately, and the cluster cam is useful for more than I thought before the galaxy cam went offline. NGC 7000, the Pleiades, and Andromeda are all good targets with the Cluster Cam.

Return to “General”