Identifying outer solar system objects, how?

General astronomy discussion
Kepler_PB

Identifying outer solar system objects, how?

Postby Kepler_PB » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi, so I'm new to using the scope and currently just experimenting with different filters and exposures but I really want to get some photos to try spot some asteroids, minor planets etc.
I can align the photos and create animations in Photoshop to spot moving objects and I've tried this on a few current shots of Pluto. However if I see another object how do I go about identifying this object? Does anyone have any tips or is there a good process I can follow to do this?

Any pointers would be appreciated
Cheers
Pete

garypoyner

Re: Identifying outer solar system objects, how?

Postby garypoyner » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:30 pm

First thing to do is to get yourself a decent Planetarium program, The very best (imo) is GUIDE 9 (www.projectpluto.com).

The place to go to check out suspects once you have a position is http://cgi.minorplanetcenter.net/cgi-bin/checkmp.cgi

There's probably a few more things you can check which someone will mention. Whenever I have found a 'new' object in any of my Variable Star BRT images, GUIDE 9 has identified it.

Good luck,
Gary

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:40 pm

If you're trying to spot something moving between two images, we'd love you to give this a try:

http://www.telescope.org/~ed/blink/

It hasn't been tested (or even seen) by anyone except me, so it would be helpful to get some feedback from users such as you.

It will work so long as you have multiple images of exactly the same target. Let me know how you get on.

Ed

garypoyner

Postby garypoyner » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:18 pm

I like that Ed. There is some displacement between images as no two field centres are the same - but I can see that anything 'new' would be pretty obvious in some images. Where there are large displacements, then it's pretty tough.

Gary

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:45 pm

It does try to auto-align them (but often fails). You can align them manually using the button beneath the brightness controls on the left.

garypoyner

Postby garypoyner » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:10 am

That's better. How did I miss that?

What currently dictates the order of objects in your list when you click to choose your images? RA ascending order would be better perhaps?

Cheers,
Gary

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:48 pm

They're ordered by time at which the most recent image of each object was completed, with most recently completed at the top. If you're going there to look for something in some images you just had returned, that order makes sense. But perhaps an option for alternate sort orders such as the one you suggest would be a good idea.

Kepler_PB

Postby Kepler_PB » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:53 am

Hi Ed, sorry for the delayed response. That looks great, I'll give the tool a try this week and let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Pete

CaioMachado

Postby CaioMachado » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:46 pm

Hi Ed, cool stuff this "Blink Comparator". Is there a way to use images taken by other users? I have too few images of the same spot to be of any use for comparison. But if I could use other images, the chances of finding something cool - digging into old data - greatly increases... and can be fun any way :-)
Cheers
Caio

Kepler_PB

Postby Kepler_PB » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:53 am

Thanks Gary, I use Stellarium currently, hopefully this is good enough. I'll do a bit of tinkering with Stellarium and if that's no good I'll check out Guide9.

Cheers
Pete

garypoyner wrote:First thing to do is to get yourself a decent Planetarium program, The very best (imo) is GUIDE 9 (http://www.projectpluto.com).

The place to go to check out suspects once you have a position is http://cgi.minorplanetcenter.net/cgi-bin/checkmp.cgi

There's probably a few more things you can check which someone will mention. Whenever I have found a 'new' object in any of my Variable Star BRT images, GUIDE 9 has identified it.

Good luck,
Gary

Return to “Astronomy”