Charon

General astronomy discussion
polarisab2001

Charon

Postby polarisab2001 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:51 am

I am new to the BRT, and astrophotography, but I am not new to astronomy. I know people here have spotted small dwarf planets, moons of neptune, and the movement of Pluto, but would an image of Charon be possible? This would require perfect settings, the perfect night, and a LOT of processing and editing, but is it even worth attempting? If I have any luck, the best it could possibly appear is a bump on Pluto, the size of one pixel. But I was recently inspired by reading this. http://www.astroimaging.it/blog/2008/08 ... /#more-465
(Translate it to English)
Thank you in advance!

Ed
Site Admin

Re: Charon

Postby Ed » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Our telescope is really more designed for looking at objects large in the sky (the moon, messier objects etc). We have a focal reducer on it to widen it's field of view for exactly this.

I did some calculations on the back of an envelope and found the greatest possible distance charon and pluto could ever appear to us would show up as 0.5 pixels on our images. It is unlikely you would be able to measure this I think.

Ed

polarisab2001

Re: Charon

Postby polarisab2001 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks for the reply. Im going to do some shots of Pluto anyway, so im going to try to do the impossible and spot Charon. What would be the perfect settings for this? Thank you so much!

Pavle

Return to “Astronomy”