First image- M42

General astronomy discussion
AstroReed

First image- M42

Postby AstroReed » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:58 am

Hi all,

I registered for this site just the other day and have already got my first image! As I've never tried anything like this, I've just been experimenting and I think it's turned out pretty good! What do you think?
Attachments
M42rgb.jpeg
Messier 42
M42rgb.jpeg (443.93 KiB) Viewed 17001 times

ufoken

Re: First image- M42

Postby ufoken » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:27 am

Great image of the Orion Nebula! Good job! I've used this telescope for over a year now and have gotten incredible photos of planets, nebula, galaxies, clusters, and even specific stars. I have found that if it's not on their list, to find galaxies and nebula names online with their NGC number. Then you type the number in the NGC area of the settings. I've also found and used specific coordinates on Wikipedia to type those in the settings if it doesn't have a NGC number. Personally I haven't used IC objects yet. If you are new to astronomy, I highly suggest getting an astronomy program like the free one called Stellarium to see if what you want will be out in the sky anytime soon. Because it will sit in your queue if it's not in the sky. Have fun!

wileamson7

Postby wileamson7 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:39 am

As a test, I tried to make some star trails around Polaris, The Northern Star, by using the highest maximum exposure time we can use which is 180000ms (3 minutes). Using my astronomy program, 3 minutes seemed to move the stars enough to see the trails, I thought anyway. Seems 3 minutes is not enough time to see any trails that move around the Northern Star. You can see my processed photo here, which includes my label of the star:

garypoyner

Postby garypoyner » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:09 pm

Well you won't get Polar star trails (or any intentional star trails) using the BRT, as the telescope is driven. You need to point a stationary camera at the pole (or any other star) and give it a long exposure. You will see them then!

Gary

Return to “Astronomy”