Planet X ??

General astronomy discussion
ghost32

Planet X ??

Postby ghost32 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:30 am

Anyone know how to get a glimps at planet x if it exists? I know most people will laugh but it might not be planet x but what ever nasa detected with the iras infrared thing back in 1984. Or is there anyway to have the tenerife telescope look at objects around or near the sun? Is that possible with filters? :o

scott
Site Admin

Re: Planet X ??

Postby scott » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:53 pm

Hi ghost32,

Planet X was orignally postulated to explain anomallys in the orbit of Neptune. In 1993, the mass of Neptune was re-calculated using data from Voyager 2. This reduced or value for the mass of Neptune by 0.5%, and removed any orbital anomalies. The unidentified objects from IRAS were also found to be distant galaxies. To date there is no evidence to suggest that planet X exists. We have however discovered many small objects known as dwarf planets. These include Sedna, Eris, Quaoar etc which we think are far to distant to image with the BRT. You are very welcome to attempt this, but it would be extremely difficult - please let me know if you succeed!

As for imaging objcts near to the sun, we currently do not have any solar filters present on the telescope. We have to remove >99.9% of the light from the moon to get an image, this problem would be a lot worse with the sun! To date we have not imaged Mercury for this reason.

RossW

Re: Dwarf Planet Makemake

Postby RossW » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:00 pm

scott wrote:We have discovered many small objects known as dwarf planets. These include Sedna, Eris, Quaoar etc which we think are far too distant to image with the BRT. You are very welcome to attempt this, but it would be extremely difficult - please let me know if you succeed!

The Chairman of our local AS recently showed us a pair of images which he'd taken of the dwarf planet 136472 Makemake (a Kuiper Belt Object, out beyond Pluto), so I thought that I'd have a look for it myself using the BRT Galaxy Camera.

I used RADEC co-ordinates to target the areas of Coma Berenices where it could be seen, and over the last week I've managed to catch it with J225536 and J226556. Here's my resulting animation (the object is moving through the lower right quadrant of this image):
makemake.gif
Blink animation of Makemake on 25-May and 2-Jun-2014.
2x 2-min with Galaxy Camera (clear filter).
makemake.gif (384.17 KiB) Viewed 4376 times

Regards from Ross
Bolton AS

qigrisu

Postby qigrisu » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:33 am

I do see blinking points of light, but did not discern movement relative to other objects. Is this an animation gif, and if it is can it be "played".

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:56 am

It ought to be playing already. How about using this link to see the image without those scroll bars.

If I'm not much mistaken, the movement you're looking for is as indicated here. (Mine isn't animated):

Makemake.jpg
Makemake.jpg (83.17 KiB) Viewed 4362 times

I think this is really cool. I definitely need to find a way to do this with schools.

RossW

Re: Targeting dwarf planets

Postby RossW » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:27 am

ed.hand wrote:I think this is really cool. I definitely need to find a way to do this with schools.

Thanks Ed - it's fun to explore the boundaries of the BRT's capabilities. :)

This is how I managed the Makemake animation:
  1. Use a planetarium program such as Cartes du Ciel (aka SkyCharts) to determine the (J2000) co-ordinates of the dwarf planet to enter into the BRT RADEC Job Request;
  2. As soon as this job has executed, set up another Job Request with the latest RADEC values;
  3. Use software such as IRIS to co-register the stars which are common to the two images and save the results as .BMPs;
  4. Use IrfanView to batch-convert the .BMPs to .GIFs;
  5. And finally use unFREEz to produce the animated .GIF

But you could take the "hit & miss" element out of the first two steps by adding a selection of dwarf planets to the Solar System menu (Pluto is already there, but what about Sedna, Eris, etc?), and maybe including the facility to repeat the same job after a few days' interval?
Then maybe you could come up with some custom software to perform the last three steps in a single Flash app?

Regards from Ross.

RossW

Re: Solar system animations

Postby RossW » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:03 am

Here are three more examples which I made using the same technique.

First, Pluto in Sagittarius over three nights in May 2013:
http://www.boltonastro.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1256&fullsize=1
When I'd completed the animation, as well as Pluto (marked by the yellow arrow), I also spotted another object moving nearby (marked by the blue arrow) - this turned out to be asteroid (364) Isara. :o

Next, I set up a series of Cluster Camera jobs to follow Neptune over a few weeks in September and October 2013:
http://www.boltonastro.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1322&fullsize=1

And finally, using Galaxy Camera images from three nights in September 2013, not only can we see the planet Neptune, but also its moon Triton in orbit:
http://www.boltonastro.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1257&fullsize=1

tellidde4

Postby tellidde4 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:16 am

I remember this site http://www.astrologyjunction.com/ had like a 10 page report about planet X like predictions nd things like that, doesn't have it anymore but ur post made me think about it. If u want to know more bout Planet X( 4 those of u who are like beginners) http://www.space.com/28284-planet-x-wor ... pluto.html this is the official space site < :shock:

serwusek

Postby serwusek » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:53 pm

i'm still a newbie but i don't think Planet X exist like it was posulated at firs

your2

Postby your2 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:35 pm

hi al
i like to inform that we nee to find a red dworph and his 7 planets at sunset.
we find all ready light distorsion 4h00 before sunset

:D

Return to “Astronomy”