Any topics discussing the telescope.org website
questar

subs

Postby questar » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:37 pm

My subscription to BRT via paypal has been cancelled! Why? :twisted:

questar

Re: subs

Postby questar » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:03 am

Hi, Is it a bug? Is there another way of paying to use the telescope other than PayPal? Just a thought!! Cheers, Dave.

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:48 am

Mickanderson

Postby Mickanderson » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:04 pm

BRT users, a change is coming to this site. I've been in contact with Bradford U. Officials and they are unable to tell us the nature of these changes. That leaves us with a numerous possible futures for BRT. If the problem is financial, it makes sense to refuse payment so as not to obligate BRT to any specific term of operation.

The real estate in Tenerife may be of interest to parties with more resources to upgrade and even privatize the sight. I can find nothing about the current lease terms. Perhaps the operation could be transferred to a University with an more active Astronomy program.

My emails to the Chancellors office have only offered replies indicating that the subject cannot be discussed at this time. There are some hints that BU would like to see that the facility is open to users like us. My experience tells me that they are hopeful but don't really have a clue. I believe the changes are well underway and fairly well defined. Anyone with additional valid information should post it here.

If you know and don't want to be sourced, you can email Mick-at-pobox.com. I will report what you send and keep it anonymous, will remove any possible identifying information when posting.

In reality the users are BRT. I've seen no fundraising, no rallying of support, no threat of invading Spain, zip, zero, nada.

Kudos to the operations team. We love you.

Comments are most welcome.

David Conner

Postby David Conner » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:05 pm

I'm not sure which is more frustrating, lack of telescope or lack of information. It might be 'free' at the moment, but patience and goodwill are not infinite. This whole sorry episode can't be doing the BRT's reputation any good at all. It will be interesting to see how many users remain when - if- we have to start paying again.

David Conner.

mikaselm

Postby mikaselm » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:27 pm

I'll keep paying as long as they want to keep offering the service... When it comes down to it, the amount that we pay for this subscription really isn't much, and I can't pay for dark skies here. The light pollution where I live is abysmal, and I can't afford a gigantic scope, so the BRT lets me see things that I couldn't normally see, and gives me access to something I simply can't get elsewhere.

I desperately hope that the changes coming to the site mean that we can continue to enjoy the access to a big scope and imager, because frankly, I can't afford any other access to them.

Despite less than ideal access, I continue to be grateful to the BRT for offering what they can when they can.

Return to “Website”