When can I see.... Whatever?

Any topics discussing the telescope.org website
mikaselm

When can I see.... Whatever?

Postby mikaselm » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:47 pm

Hello, all! I've become pretty godly at picking up on what's visible right now by following the job que, but if I wanted to find a particular object, say My for example, is there somewhere I can go that will tell me what days of the year and what times it'll be visible? I can't seem to get stellarium to work, so not sure of that'll do it, but I haven't been able to find a way with the other planetarium softwares that I've tried. Surely some sort of resource of that type exists though. Any hints?

Thanks! !!

Ed
Site Admin

Re: When can I see.... Whatever?

Postby Ed » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:03 pm

I agree that this is an important thing. Opening Stellarium, finding something, speeding up time and watching the sky move is such a hassle, when it's such an easy calculation for a computer to compute for you.

So I've built this into our next generation request constructor. It's still a bit rough around the edges but it works and you can use it right now:
www.telescope.org/v4request-constructor.php
Type an object in the box and the visibility over the year appears on the right.

I've a few improvements to make so it's easier to decide what to look at. And a few other little suggestions people on the forum have made. Then it'll be good to go I think.

David Conner

Postby David Conner » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:10 pm

The visibility calculator is an excellent idea - I like it. :-)

David Conner

mikaselm

Postby mikaselm » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:55 pm

This is FANTASTIC!! I love the little chart at the bottom with the months of the year. I also really like being able to see images of the object that I'm picking that were actually taken with this scope! It's easy enough to google an M number that's popular in the queue right now, but it's nice to know what I'm actually going to see with this site. I think that this makes the whole thing much more beginner friendly too.

This whole thing is such a cool resource. I wish I'd known about it when I was teaching, because my kids would have loved it, and I was always so into exciting STEM stuff.

Sumer

Postby Sumer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:16 am

Hello,
all! I've become pretty godly at picking up on what's visible right now by following the job que, but if I wanted to find a particular object, say My for example, is there somewhere I can go that will tell me what days of the year and what times it'll be visible???? :(

Chris
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi Sumer,

Try entering your object into the new (beta) request-constructor, the link to it is in Ed's post above. It can give you an idea of the visibility of many different types of object.

weblolo

Postby weblolo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:23 pm

Hi Ed,

This request constructor is a great idea...even if it can be fun to play with stellarium

Many thanks !

Return to “Website”