Image Copyrights

Any topics discussing the telescope.org website
mikaselm

Image Copyrights

Postby mikaselm » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:42 am

Ok, I read the FAQ, and it says that I can use the images on my website, or in print, providing copyright info is nearby. That makes perfect sense for website sales... but my question is this: How does that copyright extend to printed photographs?

For example, lets say I download the image and run it through some levels and basic editing in Photoshop, but don't put a copyright anywhere in the image itself. This is how I'm understanding the policy to work, but can someone confirm this for me?

Post on a website with copyright info nearby: Allowed
Post on a website with no copyright info: Not Allowed
Sent to Shutterfly (or whatever) and have the image printed on a poster:Allowed (?)
Hang that poster in my home: Allowed (?)
Give the poster as a gift: Allowd (?)
Sell the poster: Not Allowed

I'm guessing that this is correct, basically that one can use the images for personal use but not sell them. Does that sound right?

Thank you all so much!!

Mika

garypoyner

Re: Image Copyrights

Postby garypoyner » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:53 am

That sounds about right to me. I've posted images on my webpages, included images in published papers I've authored and co-authored and very often use them in astronomical talks I give throughout the UK - all with BRT copyright information either included on the image itself, in the presentation or in the acknowledgements if it's a paper. As long as you include a reference to BRT somewhere on your image or poster, that should be OK. I don't think the guys on the staff would be too happy to find images being sold though - copyright info included or not :o

Gary

mikaselm

Postby mikaselm » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:09 pm

Lol, selling them on posters as about the most extreme example of things that wouldn't be allowed I could think of, but I've been playing around with manipulating some of the images that others have taken (none of mine have completed yet, dang the high winds) and I've gotten some really good results, especially when layering H-Alpha photos and color ones, and I'm thinking that some canvas prints would be a cool addition to the space themed nursery that I'm planning. (not that our whole house isn't a little space themed, lol)

I've got to say, this community is very responsive and helpful. I appreciate all the answers that you all give :D .

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:43 pm

Just to say that I agree with what's been said so far.

Any and all personal, non-commercial use is absolutely fine. Unless you're planning on turning your house into a public art gallery in the near future, I don't think you need to add a copyright disclaimer :D

mikaselm

Postby mikaselm » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:41 pm

Lol, not about to start inviting folks in to look at my home, then I'd have to keep up with the housekeeping! LOL. While I do run a business from home, it's the lovely web based type that doesn't have folks coming through the house. I'm glad to know that they're good for personal use, it does make the whole thing a bit more fun.

Thanks!

Return to “Website”