Advice for a Noob?

Any topics discussing the telescope.org website
mikaselm

Advice for a Noob?

Postby mikaselm » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Hello, all! I've recently signed up, and I've been playing around a bit with pics that I'd like to take, but it occurs to me that not all of the available objects are going to be visible during the same times of the year, correct?

Does anyone have some suggestions for what I should start with, or a god resource for what objects will be visible when? I've found that constellations and planets are pretty easy to find visibility info for, but that nebulae and distant galaxies aren't turning up in my google searches.

Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks to the creators of this site, it's really cool.

mikaselm

Re: Advice for a Noob?

Postby mikaselm » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:02 am

Also, on the front page, before logging in, there's an awesome pic of Jupiter in the "see what you can get" section. Does anyone know what settings were used for that pic? I didn't see it in the gallery, but I'd LOVE to take some like that!

ColinSMiles

Postby ColinSMiles » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:46 am

May I suggest that you download Stellarium and set it up for the Bradford Observatory. And if you then choose objects that are visible look at the image gallery and see what cameras and settings were used for them.

garypoyner

Postby garypoyner » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:29 am

Yes, Stellarium is an easy to use and attractive piece of software to download for free. May I also suggest that you check the 'latest jobs completed' page at...

http://www.telescope.org/v3job-search-r ... d=0&page=1

to see how far East and West the telescope is imaging throughout the night. This will give you a good idea as to the area of sky covered. You can then check your software for objects that fall in this zone, or indeed have a look at the jobs completed to see what other users are up to. This working zone will of course move eastwards throughout the weeks and months, and you will have to occasionally update your jobs accordingly.

Good luck,
Gary

mikaselm

Postby mikaselm » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:51 am

Thank you so much! I am downloading Stellarium right now. How long does it usually take to get a picture back after submitting the request, assuming that everything is set up as it should be and the object is visible? I put in a request for the moon, which I figured would be an easy pic, and visible a large portion of the time. It's currently on the 5th page of the que, and figure if every pic has an exposure time of 2 minutes (the max recommended, right?) and there's minimal switching time (reasonable assumption? I have no idea...) then you should be able to get a pretty good amount of pictures every night, right?

Lol, I'm not really sure how it works, but assuming I've got a really visible object and good weather (does it take pics in the rain or snow?) what's my best case scenerio?

Thank you all so much, this is just SOOO cool, and I'm really excited to start getting some pictures back.

mikaselm

Postby mikaselm » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:28 am

Thank you so much! I'm dementia ding stellarium right now. Assuming I've got an object which is frequently visible and all of my settings are correct, how long should I expect to wait for my images? I have a request in fire the moon, which I thought was likely to be a frequently visible object and easy to get a good pic, and ison the fifth page of the quee right now. How many pages does it generally get through in a night?

Thank you all sooo much!!

ColinSMiles

Postby ColinSMiles » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:39 am

I would suggest you also check the weather report here as if it is raining, as it was last night, nobody will get anything. As for how long it takes to get back that will depend on what you asked for. It can be overnight or several weeks or months, depending on the object. The criteria is set by a computer algorithm. If you look through this forum you will find explanations regarding both this and how many images you can expect.

Another thing to look at is the job queue, real time data and the requests and, as I said before, look at the image gallery, do a search and base your settings on the best ones there for the objects that you want.

Set up Stellarium for the Bradford Observatory in Spain and look for objects that are visible fairly high in the sky during the night - probably early morning is best though I am not certain of that.

Return to “Website”