New Request Constructor

Any topics discussing the telescope.org website
ColinSMiles

Re: New Request Constructor

Postby ColinSMiles » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 am

Further experimentation with the old and the new. I can see why those accustomed to the old are happy with it. But the new one does offer more, especially to newcomers.

Been fiddling around with entering various things so here are some thoughts on the new.

Showing the image of what you select is very nice, but I may be wrong as the first time I entered the information I didn't see the image come up - perhaps I wasn't looking. You are retaining the information from that last entered and I couldn't get rid of it and start afresh - even logging out didn't clear it. This isn't a particular problem except that I wanted to see whether the first time of entering the actual image came up or not.

The month info looks good. I presume the colours indicate when it is likely to be best viewed? If so a little text to that effect underneath would be useful.

The camera size is good, but what is the G in the central box?

On customize the Advanced box only shows the Dark Frame which from the old one is the recommended use anyway. So maybe this needs a bit of explanation for anyone who doesn't realise this and ticks it.

What is the expire time?

ColinSMiles

Postby ColinSMiles » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:41 am

Further comments!

I didn't see the bit at the top
'We've restored a request you were building previously.'

Maybe me not looking or?

Entering C19 it appears in red - not visible I think, but the month info doesn't change. Presumably the different colours are meant to indicate when best to image.

Ah - now having been switching between C11 which is visible and C19 which isn't the and C11 is now appearing in red. Something not being cleared properly? I know that in normal operation people won't keep changing their minds but just in case. Now entered as Bubble Nebula and it is on red and stuck. Changed to Messier 45 and that was ok, then back to C11 which comes up red, but NGC 7635 clears it and the image comes up. And I went through the rest and submitted it.

As a programmer, now retired, I appreciate the problems.

Hope this helps.

ColinSMiles

Postby ColinSMiles » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:07 am

There is such a thing as being too helpful and I suspect that restoring something previously being worked on is one of these, particularly if - I may be wrong = there is no easy way of looking back at the images to see, for instance, which are the best ones and the settings to use. It would be nice to be able to access the image gallery whilst in the constructor, but that may be very difficult.

ColinSMiles

Postby ColinSMiles » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:41 pm

When you get focus in the Name field, or if the backspace or delete keys are used in this field, it is important to clear ALL indicators including camera choice, exposure length, etc. And when you move on to the next field you just retain the info from the previous one. But when you use the Back key to go a previous page make sure you first clear indicators and fields on the current page before actioning it.

I can't get in to check at the moment as I my request list is full, but the info about which camera is best suited to which type of object which was in the old version - don't think it is there, can't remember - it is worth putting this in somewhere even though you show the size.

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks so much for all the really helpful feedback. Especially you Colin. I will be improving the constructor based on your suggestions shortly. I'll let you know what I change as I change it.

Ed

ColinSMiles

Postby ColinSMiles » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:22 am

Happy to help. Let me know as soon as you need more testing.

frenchbaz

Postby frenchbaz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi

I have just used the new request constructor and found it easy and intuitive to use.

Baz

ColinSMiles

Postby ColinSMiles » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:34 pm

I have just been having another go with your new constructor. At the name stage I couldn't enter Messier. So I went to the help and I could then pick out Clusters - as I was going for M34. However, the only options here were for Globular Clusters, not Open Clusters. In fact I couldn't find a way to enter M34. Maybe I was doing something wrong.

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:45 pm

ColinSMiles wrote:There is a 'gap' between the old and the new regarding the choice of object which I haven't yet put my finger on. It could be just in my head!

There have been a few improvements made that should hopefully close that gap. It now suggests popular objects based on what other users are ordering. If you select an object, there is a link in the object information box to view objects similar to that (it works for the most popular 200 or so deep space objects). A few other bits and bobs too.

We consider it ready to use so it's now gone live for everyone to use.

Jeremy5

Postby Jeremy5 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Just had a go with the new Request Constructor. My response: please don't get rid of the old one!

Go well!
Jeremy

Return to “Website”