New Request Constructor

Any topics discussing the telescope.org website
Ed
Site Admin

New Request Constructor

Postby Ed » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi all,

We are about to release a new version of the request constructor. We're looking for some people to give it a try and provide some feedback. We'll use anything you tell us to make the new request constructor better for you.

You can access it here right now: http://www.telescope.org/v4request-constructor.php

After you've tried it out, we'd like to know any of the following:
1) How is easy was it to learn how to use the first time?
2) Did you get stuck or confused by anything in the process? (don't be afraid to tell us)
3) Did it allow you to achieve what you wanted easily?
4) Is there anything you think could be added or changed to make it better for you?

Thanks!

Ed

astronomia

Re: New Request Constructor

Postby astronomia » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi all,
I have seen the New Request Constructor with his several options. It's very easy and good and without problems. For experiment I have requested some images of M 43 with different exposures time.
Thanks.
Francesco Badalotti

astronomia

Postby astronomia » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:12 pm

About the New Constructor, it could not better a range of time exposure between 10 and 360 seconds ? This for acquire images of objects with a more different bright.
Thanks.
Francesco Badalotti

eddy1964

Postby eddy1964 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:37 am

Hi Ed,

What about the current requests? Must they be all re-entered? I hope not...

Regards,
Eddy

garypoyner

Postby garypoyner » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:46 am

What's wrong with the old one? Everyone is used to it so why change?

Please don't remove the 'repeat job' option!

Gary

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:44 am

eddy1964 wrote:What about the current requests? Must they be all re-entered?

Of course not! We'd have no reason to make you do that.

garypoyner wrote:What's wrong with the old one? Everyone is used to it so why change?

The new one should be much easier to learn for new people (who aren't used to the old one), providing much more help in the process, while also being much quicker to get through if you know what you're doing. A special effort was made to reduce the time and clicks needed to submit radec jobs. I hope you'll have time to try it out and see.

(Resubmitting jobs will not be affected)

garypoyner

Postby garypoyner » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Ed,

Yep I tried it. It's OK, but being an ole' stick in the mud I like things left well alone if they work OK. To be honest I can cope with whatever you do - providing you don't remove the repeat job button. I might go mad if you did that ;)

Gary

ColinSMiles

Postby ColinSMiles » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi

I don't think it ws as simple as the old one unless you specifically know what you want to image. I did but I clicked on both help options and they didn't help as they only seem to deal with 'common' items with nowhere to go for any others. I think the first option of the old one is much better - suggests all the items that might be chosen. Maybe if you added the common items as an extra it might help, but I rather doubt it.

I thought the use of a seconds grid was better than the ms, though I note that at the end it showed up in ms rather than secs.

Also showing what filters were available for the selected object was, I think, better. I chose a galaxy and it didn't show the colour image (BVG) which I assume is correct, whereas the old constructor would.

I think the addition of your bit about which camera to use for various objects should be available at some stage, maybe as a help.

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi Colin. Thanks very much for your feedback. I will see about adding the current help text to the new pages.

With regards to ways to help you choose an object, could you tell me how you currently make this decision? If you went to current request constructor and didn't know what to image, what would your first step be?

One thing I plan to add is a box with the current most popular requests from other people listed. Do you think this would be more helpful for you?

Ed

ColinSMiles

Postby ColinSMiles » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Have tried it again and I like it, especially the help with the size of image, filters available and the suggested image length. What I found slightly confusing at first was how to enter the information but I don't think newcomers would, it's just being used to the old one. My request list is full, but when it empties a bit I will use it again. It's definitely along the right lines.

There is a 'gap' between the old and the new regarding the choice of object which I haven't yet put my finger on. It could be just in my head!

Return to “Website”