Is this forum still live?

Technical Support for the BRT telescope and website
garypoyner

Re: Is this forum still live?

Postby garypoyner » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:49 pm

I think the telescope will be functioning again sometime in the future, but under the control of another university. However a previous post by David suggests that the telescope might be used for student research. What this means for schools and amateurs is anyones guess, but I think the good old days of the BRT are behind us now. Hope I'm proved wrong about that.

I wonder what the current problem is that has stopped the telescope working the past few weeks? A system status update would have been nice for those of us who keep tabs on the BRT site from day to day.

Gary

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:30 pm

If, hypothetically, the Open University were to take over ownership of the telescope as David implies with his post (and which I can neither confirm nor deny), do you really think they would lock it down for internal use only?

They already have a (bigger) live-use robotic telescope they can use for this purpose (PIRATE). The autonomous highly-scalable nature of the BRT would be rather wasted on such a use. Consider also the Open University's dedication to public engagement, e-learning and the provision of high quality learning opportunities for all through partnerships with the BBC etc. Also consider the remote-nature of OU teaching and their astronomy department with strong links with the UK Space Agency.

Do you really think the telescope being in the hands of the OU would be worse than it being at Bradford? Would they really make less good use of it?

(hypothetically)

I wonder what the current problem is that has stopped the telescope working the past few weeks?

Some frustratingly trivial problem. A log file got too big or something I think. It also under a snow drift at the moment, but that's a separate issue.

garypoyner

Postby garypoyner » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:27 pm

We'll see. Hope your right! I have my doubts.

Gary

astrojohn

Postby astrojohn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:56 pm

Clearly the scope is in a state of flux. I wonder what the future is for this system.
With the weather and the fact I am trying to build an observatory, I need access to a remote scope.
John Mallett
FRAS, BAA, AAVSO

rjmodic

Postby rjmodic » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:23 pm

Has anyone heard anything lately about when BRT might be running again? Three months is a long time for this scope to be down. Would be nice to look at some winter and spring objects before their season ends.

Thanks,

Bob

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Tue May 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Has everyone seen the news on the front page?

David Conner

Postby David Conner » Tue May 10, 2016 10:58 pm

Hi Ed,

Yes thanks, logged in and awaiting email confirmation. Fingers crossed for the future.

tvm for the heads up.

David.

Eddywim

Postby Eddywim » Tue May 10, 2016 11:21 pm

Yes Ed I've seen it. But when I log into my accounts I don't get a mail back... I'll mail John about that.

Cheers,
Eddy

garypoyner

Postby garypoyner » Wed May 11, 2016 10:10 am

I don't think anyone has yet received e-mail confirmation after logging in that their account has been transferred. I guess this will happen after the deadline date.

Gary

David Conner

Postby David Conner » Wed May 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Will that be one email per account? (I have 3 accounts)

David

Return to “Technical Support”