Is this forum still live?

Technical Support for the BRT telescope and website
David Conner

Is this forum still live?

Postby David Conner » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:32 pm

That answers my first question!

My second question; does anyone from BRT read it?

If so, is it too much trouble for someone to check that the observatory has fired up each evening? This continued unreliability is leaving too many gaps in the observations and it is becoming a waste of time.

David Conner.

Ed
Site Admin

Re: Is this forum still live?

Postby Ed » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:57 am

As I probably already mentioned, the class of people 'anyone from BRT' currently describes only John, as we all lost our jobs, and for us to log in to BRT servers without express permission from Bradford would be illegal, and Bradford don't give a damn about how the telescope is running so that's not going to happen.

My understanding is that a certain ex-BRT-team-member has been assisting John in keeping the system running over the phone, which is good of him considering he's not being paid to do so any more. This is why the telescope has been operating pretty well for the past couple of months. As was inevitable, a problem has now occurred that cannot be easily fixed over the phone, hence the down time over the last two nights.

I suggest you email Bradford as they are the only ones who have the power to see the telescope gets fixed, at least for now.

David Conner

Postby David Conner » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:00 am

OK thanks Ed. email sent to Bradford.

David.

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:02 pm

Did you get any reply?

David Conner

Postby David Conner » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Not yet.

David Conner

Postby David Conner » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:16 pm

I notice the scheduler/job queue appear to be functioning (Wednesday 17.16pm) and that the number of waiting jobs has now gone up to 1902 from 1780-ish 3 days ago.

People are still putting requests in. Here's hoping...

David.

David Conner

Postby David Conner » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:53 pm

I have now received a reply advising me that there is every intention of restoring the observatory to working order. It certainly won't be within a week, but will otherwise be 'as soon as possible'.

It just needs some things to be sorted out and these take time.

David.

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:56 pm

Well, that's good to hear. Thanks for the update! :)

Eddywim

Postby Eddywim » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Ed,

It's now more than a month without operations and without any update what so ever... Please can you get again contact with the University...

It's really frustrating!!!

Eddy

EMAN4

Postby EMAN4 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:20 pm

Eddy, It seems that the sun has set for the last time for this site. I may have found this site to late but I hope it gets someones attention at the university that sites like this is a great place to learn. I know that my son and his class mates are really upset, They learned a lot and they looked forward to picking out stars, galaxies, comets to photograph. I hope ED and the rest of the crew that kept this site what it was will be hired back. Maybe if we all flood the university with emails they will do something. Eric

Return to “Technical Support”