No observations again

Technical Support for the BRT telescope and website
David Conner

No observations again

Postby David Conner » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi,

This looks like another night of excellent weather when the BRT is not returning observations.

Notwithstanding the 'free pass to the site', I have an account which is paid up until the 13th of the month.

Is this lack of images due to a technical fault or what?

David Conner

Ed
Site Admin

Re: No observations again

Postby Ed » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:01 am

You are absolutely correct. The university of Bradford should have a duty to maintain your access to the telescope until your paid subscription expires.

They may not be aware that the telescope has stopped working. As an ex-employee of the University of Bradford, I would suggest the person to send your complains to would be the dean of Life Sciences (Richard Greene), who is currently responsible for overseeing this.

You can reach his PA (Melanie Hoyle) at the following address:
m.hoyle1.jpg
m.hoyle1.jpg (5.28 KiB) Viewed 3047 times

Please direct your messages here. I really hope this is resolved for you.

Ed

garypoyner

Postby garypoyner » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:29 pm

Where have my 40 jobs gone? Just logged in and I have a total of 15 to enter, and I've paid up until the 19th. This just isn't good enough! I'll be sending an e-mail to Bradford at once, but if this ongoing situation hadn't been kept so secret, we might have been warned that soemething like this might happen and planned accordingly.

Unhappy!

Gary

garypoyner

Postby garypoyner » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:39 pm

And to add to that, all my past jobs have disappeared - thousands of them!

My current research into V677 And has just ended. Thank you!

Gary

David Conner

Postby David Conner » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the info. and your help over the years. Good luck with the future.

re BRT I'm with Gary on this, why the secrecy? Is that the end, or is it being handed over to another operator who will keep it available for use by us?

David.

Gary, My past jobs are still available - for now.

garypoyner

Postby garypoyner » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi David,

Yes the BRT archive is still there (which is something I guess), but my own personal folders have vanished - outbursts etc, along with all my previous requests taken over the past 8 or 9 years or however long I''ve been using BRT. Maddening!

Cheers,
Gary

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:42 pm

I can see no reason that anyone's jobs would have gone. Did you say, Garry, that your folders have disappeared? Are you sure you're logged in with the right account?

In my personal opinion, Bradford's handling of things has not been entirely satisfactory for quite some time. We have had absolutely no information from them about what was going on. One day everything was as normal. The next day we were told to stop accepting subscriptions. A week and a half after that and there ceased to be any staff in the BRT office, myself included. So that's that. You found out less than 24 hours after we did.

Please be assured that any secrecy is not of our own choosing. We have done to the letter exactly as we have been instructed. Much as I would love to give you a full account of my dissatisfaction, this would not be in the best interests of the telescope at this point.

I am really hoping for a satisfactory resolution to this matter and can sympathise with your frustration about being kept in the dark.

Ed

ThomasK

Postby ThomasK » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:24 am

Thanks Ed for informing us. You have allways been very helpful and trying to answer our questions and making very nice applications for the BRT web. I can't belive that BRT will get a such stupid ending. It is a world unique facility for amatuer astronomy around the world.

Thomas Karlsson

garypoyner

Postby garypoyner » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi Ed,

Firstly let me comment on your e-mail. A couple of us thought that it was the University behind the recent problems, but your news of the demise of the BRT staff - yourself included of course - was sad to hear. When it comes to people's jobs, our grumblings about the BRT seem nothing in comparson. I hope that it works out for you all in the end.

As to my problem of yesterday. I only have one account these days, and my browser keeps me logged in continually because I visit several times per day. Yesterday I visited the site to check on whether any forum messages needed clearing, and noticed that I had 15 jobs in account (the day before it read 40/40). My folders were empty and my 400 pages of previous jobs had vanished! I sent off an e-mail directly to the address you included in your previous posting, and made a few grumbles here on the forum. I then re-entered my 15 new jobs and left it like that - pretty miserable. This morning when I again checked the forum for waiting messages I noted that my 40 jobs had been reinstated along with my folders and previous jobs. I can't account for any of it. So stuff is back to normal for me at the moment.

Gary

Ed
Site Admin

Postby Ed » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:01 pm

I'll be ok. The Open University have given me a job working on their Open Science Lab. I started a week ago actually.

Don't lose hope for the telescope just yet.

Now if someone would just turn the thing off and on again so it could get observing again :(

Return to “Technical Support”