COAST facilities

Technical Support for the BRT telescope and website
David Conner

COAST facilities

Postby David Conner » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi Ed

Thanks for the updates.

Hopefully the ART will be fixable but, failing that, will COAST have small aperture/ wide angle equivalent to Cluster Camera?

For the brighter variable stars suitable comparisons can be some distance away, and a large aperture also requires short exposures with attendant seeing/sampling issues.

Many thanks

David Conner

Ed
Site Admin

Re: COAST facilities

Postby Ed » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:38 pm

Hi David,

The answer is: not initially.

COAST doesn't have such a camera right now. When the ART is decommissioned and COAST takes over as the main observatory, some hardware from the ART may be cannibalised and added to COAST. I would like to see the wide angle cameras return, but we'll have to see what's possible within the new setup.

I'll see your concerns are passed on to those who will make the decision when the time comes.

Ed

David Conner

Re: COAST facilities

Postby David Conner » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:33 am

Hi Ed,

Many thanks for that.

Another advantage of a wide field camera is that it can be used as a survey camera. Most of my work on variable stars was with Cluster Camera. In the process I have discovered 21 previously unknown variables among the field stars (including 2 eclipsing binaries) which can be followed up with the larger instrument.

A really useful little camera! :-)

tvm

David.

Return to “Technical Support”